Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Me - my Thyroid - my frustration

Someone said to me.. after I had vented YET again about my difficulty in losing weight because of my hypothyroidism, that I must be doing something wrong.

I was upset by their statement because I got the impression that they figured I was using it as an excuse.. that I was full of bunk, because they had a friend who was hypothyroid but started exersizing and lost weight and now they are no longer hypothyroid.

They had no idea what I eat, but seemed to think they did based on what little they really know about me.

I was hurt because I admire this person a great deal. They have been very successul in their weight loss program that we, as it turns out started at about the same time. They have lost in excess of 40 pounds to my 1.5

As I already stated, I attribute my difficulty to the fact that I suffer from hypothyroidism (Diagnosed 24 years ago) I was told by my doctor at that time weight loss would be difficult and a nutritionist told me that I would have to put in 10 times the effort of a person who is not hindered by an underactive thyroid.

Hypothyroidism comes about for many reasons.

Pregnancy can bring on a bout of it. Viruses can also inflame the thyroid gland and cause its function to become reduced (hypothyroidism) temporarily.

My 14 year old son tested hypothyroid and during later testing his function was back to normal. The doctor said it was likely brought about by a virus.

Unfortunately, mine is not temporary. It was not caused by a virus or pregnancy. Don't know why it came out other than it runs in my family. And I will have it for the rest of my life.

Hypothyroidsm slows metabolism and affects essentially every system in the body. Symptoms include generalized fatigue, weight gain, thinning (brittle) hair, dry scaly skin, thin nails that break easily, constipation, alterations in the menstral cycle, aching muscles, and a slow heart rate. There is a decreased ability to concentrate, reading and calculating are more difficult, Hypothyroidism can cause or worsen depression.

Symptoms also include loss of appetite, painful pre-menstrual periods, muscle weakness, a yellow-orange coloration in the skin (particularly on the palms), yellow bumps on the eyelids, hair loss (including eyebrows), recurrent infections, depression, slow speech, lowering of the voice, premature aging and drooping swollen eyes.

The effectiveness of my medication changes according to when I take it.. how I take it. What foods I eat within a certain time frame of taking it. I have been overmedicated with my heart rate accelerated to a dangerous level and undermedicated so its tough to get out of bed and get my body going. I have learned to watch my intake of all food and meds and vitamins accordingly.

I have it easy compared to many other people out there who suffer with truly cronic conditions and diseases. So I am not looking for sympathy. What I do have issue with is when people who have not dealt with how it feels at times, think they know what I am up against.

I exersize. And I do not slack when I do. I am not one who takes a leisurely walk and thinks it will be enough. I get up early so I can get in 20 minutes on the eliptical in my bedroom. I go to the gym every other night and spend 20 to 30 minutes walking briskly on the treadmill, because my ankle does not yet allow me to run. (another story) I move to the Rowing Machine and do 20 minutes on that.. on the highest tension, then I weight train for 20 minutes or more. It is an intense workout. I sweat heavily and breath hard, attempting to achieve what should be my target heart rate. I get it to around 120 give or take and keep it there for a minimum of 35 minutes. My resting heart rate is 60 beats per minute. I will soon be 54. I have more stamina than my boyfriend who is 8 years my junior and also more than both our boys who are 15.

Weight loss is not easy for anyone. I agree. Try weight loss with a condition that by its nature makes it more difficult.

1 comment:

  1. Aside from desiccated bovine supplements I need my female and thyroid-binding retested. It has been a year since my last hormone test.

    ReplyDelete